Friday, October 23, 2009

D9P Done!

Well, it's sure been a long time since I've updated this - I have been working on items as I can, but kept thinking I'd have something actually finished to show - and now I finally do! This is Brian's own quilt. It turned out 60 X 80 so it's plenty big for snuggling in the recliner or even stretching out on the couch and no cold tootsies!
I used warm and natural batting and a found flat sheet for the backing. The focus fabric was from Stuff n' Such http://www.stuffnsuchdowns.com/ and I knew I had to have it when I saw the woodworking print. The girls from the HGTV Quilting board helped me figure out the colors to put with it way back when.
This is the first time I've tried hand quilting with 'The Big Stitch'. I was experiementing, learning and discovering with this. I tried both with a large hoop and without, with 3 different threads, and several different sizes of needles. I found that I preferred using a hoop, a size 7 emroidery needle worked the best for me, and there really wasn't a lot of difference to me whether I used the perle cotton or the floss, but I much preferred the perle cotton on a spool than messing with the skeins of floss. I also learned there is a lot of variety in hand thimbles. Some I liked, most I didn't! I finally settled in on the Comfort Thimble that is the most comfortable for me.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment