Monday, June 30, 2008


After that first quilt, I decided that I neede more practise with getting the seams right, matching points and just general quilting. I wanted to see what I could do - without it being FOR someone!

I found the pink and floral and had been wanting to try 'flying geese'. After seeing posts on the HGTV message board and several quilting videos on the internet I also wanted to make sure that I could do just plain blocks....should be simple enough - right? Well it did go pretty easy, so I also did some 16 patch blocks, combining more fabrics. All seemed to be going well enough.

I took the flying geese blocks to work. Weekends sometimes go very slow and I had time to trim these up and get them ready to go.

Of course I trimmed them to the 'finished' size rather than the unfinished size. grrrrr

Ended up having to trim ALL the other blocks down in order to salvage the project.


This is the block I ended up with. I think it turned out pretty good.

All but one fabric was stash or goodwill fabric

including the batting and what I planned to use for the backing. The batting is Warm and Natural and I'd gotten it for several years ago for a window project that didn't work out.

Once I got all the top put together, I had to sandwich and get it finished.
I headed out to the shop and built this modified quilt frame so that I could try my hand at quilting. I got the recommended needles, thread, and started in.
I quickly realized that hand quilting wasn't going to be my 'thing' at least not for this throw sized quilt, so I began tying it with pearl cotton.


This is it - all finished and ready for use. It ended up about
55 X 75 inches. Not bad for practice and scraps!

1 comment:

  1. Not bad at all. I like the finished project! Very pretty.

    ReplyDelete