Thursday, January 7, 2010

New Baby Quilt


I've got a new grand-baby coming, and I got busy making a quilt for him! While DD#2 was home for Christmas she approved the new quilt pattern I'd gotten and wanted to try from Quilt in a Day called Day and Night.

She picked out the colors, and I got to pick out the fabric. You can see in the close-up below that the blue / black fabric looks almost like water, and I think the yellow / gold secondary fabric compliments it nicely. I've even got the binding all ready for when it comes back from the quilter.

While both of these fabrics came from the nearby Wally World - they are both very nice fabrics that worked up really nicely. I know some quilters wouldn't dream of putting 'cheap' fabric in a quilt, this pre-washed very nicely, sewed up just great, and it just doesn't make sense to me to spend $8-$10 for Quilt Shop fabric when you really can find good quality material like these for so much less. I figured with the 5 yards I bought for this and an upcoming project, I saved a good $25 - $30!!


I will agree that not all the fabrics found at discount stores are quilt quality, if you look closely, buy smart and check it by pre-washing and evaluating the fabric along the way, you can make some good smart decisions when it comes to buying fabric.

I'm heading back to the sewing room to work on the second project for this fabric. Stay tuned!!!
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment